I am pleased to write my first blog post on Skype for Business Server 2015. My preceding blog post talks about “Skype for Business” branding. Yes, once again Microsoft has changed the branding of its communication platform and the newer or upcoming version of Microsoft communication platform is “Skype for Business Server 2015” with the countless market value of Skype. Skype for Business Server 2015 will come up with all existing features of Lync Server 2013 with improvements.
If I think about this release and exclusive things which are coming up with Skype for Business Server 2015 then surely In-Place grade is one of them. Let’s talk about key enhancements in series.
1. Now, you can in-place upgrade your Lync Server 2013 infrastructure to Skype for Business Server 2015. In-Place upgrade directly from Lync Server 2010 is not supported.
2. Enhancement with Windows Fabric which will result in better high availability of FE pool and eliminate some known Lync Server 2013 issues.
3. SQL Always on is supported but restricted to single site or network subnet.
4. Now “Cold Start” of FE pools are also supported with new cmdlet Start-Cspool.
5. Server side conversations history is now available which will improve experience on mobile devices.
6. New Smart setup feature which is part of the setup program and will detect & download the updates at the time of installation.
Now it is time to introduce new Skype for Business Server 2015 role. Yes, there is a new stand-alone server role which will provide the interoperability between SfB Server and Cisco video teleconferencing (VTC) systems.
Video Interop Server (VIS)
The VIS acts as an intermediary between SfB and VTC, allow users to select Cisco VTC system.
Please stay tuned for more…