Cloud connector is a unique product from Microsoft which can leverage your existing telephony investment and provide advanced PBX capabilities by using Skype for Business Online and Cloud PBX. SfB cloud connector is an option for those customers who are not using Lync Server 2013 or Skype for Business Server 2015 on-premises infrastructure. Cloud Connector is nothing but a set of VMs which can be deployed on-premises to connect Cloud PBX to implement on-premises PSTN connectivity.
Cloud connector edition deploys a set of VMs which contain a minimal Skype for Business server topology. Each Cloud Connector contains following VMs:
- Edge Component
- Mediation Component
- Central Management Store (CMS)
- Domain Controller
While planning for Cloud Connector make sure below you considered below points:
- You should have Office 365 tenant that includes Cloud PBX.
- You should have existing supported PBX setup running on-premises.
- All the user will be homed online.
- You don’t need Skype for Business On-premises deployment but you need virtualized infra to deploy cloud connector. You can’t co-exist cloud connector with on-premises Lync Server 2013 / Skype for Business Server 2015.
- Cloud Connector is available worldwide.
- If you want to provide dial-in conferencing to users hosted on Cloud Connector, you can purchase PSTN conferencing from Microsoft or from audio conferencing provider (ACP) partners.
If you have existing Lync Server 2013 / Skype for Business Server 2015 on-premises deployment with telephony setup, then you opt for different options except cloud connector.